Just & Fair Culture
A just and fair culture recognises the need to learn lessons from incidents and hold individuals accountable for their actions, while also encouraging positive safety behaviours. A just and fair culture procedure, or accountability framework, offers objective guidance on the most appropriate consequence for individuals whose behaviour either exceeds or falls below safety expectations.
Who's it for?
A Just and Fair Culture model helps determine accountability following a safety incident.
It defines fair and appropriate consequences in line with the individual’s behaviour and also guides reward and recognition for positive safety behaviour.
The Just and Fair Culture framework will be of interest to HSE and HR professionals, as well as incident investigators.
Despite the original research being in the Oil and Gas industry, we’ve applied the principles in developing a procedure that is suitable for any organisation seeking to introduce a fair, standardised and objective system of reward and discipline.
- rewarding and encouraging positive safety behaviours
- maintaining a transparent culture where individuals are held accountable for the actions they have taken or condoned
- ensuring employees are not unfairly disciplined for human errors
- providing transparency and consistency between the incident investigation procedure and disciplinary action
- encouraging people to be mindful about their behaviour choices
Find out more
Our team are happy to provide more information. Please click on the relevant button below to contact us.
Where employees believe that disciplinary actions following an incident are unfair, there can be a lack of cooperation with incident investigations and reporting. The Just and Fair Culture model helps reduce these issues by introducing standardisation and consistency into the way that behaviours are assessed and managed.Our consultants are experts in incident investigation and safety culture. The Keil Centre’s Just Culture model has been developed through an extensive literature review combined with a deeper understanding of what works in practice. We can help you to:
- formalise policy for Incident Investigations
- write procedures to guide application of the Just Culture framework
- integrate these into current systems, for example Health and Safety, Incident Investigations and HR