What is a Safety Culture Framework?
The Keil Centre has worked with many organisations across various industries to develop their own bespoke Safety Culture Frameworks. These models describe the critical behaviours and thinking styles required to achieve a strong safety culture and excellent safety performance. They are developed using external research, together with in-company research to identify organisation-specific examples and language.
A bespoke Safety Culture Framework describes the ideal safety culture for the company. This definition, presented in a simple and practical format, can then be used in a range of ways to assess and develop safety culture within the organisation.
The Safety Culture Framework approach was pioneered by an offshore engineering contractor in the UK in conjunction with The Keil Centre. Development and implementation of this, and similar frameworks, have been recognised via various awards. One Australian oil and gas company has validated its model, illustrating that facilities with stronger safety culture scores had better process and personal safety performance than facilities with lower scores.
Who is it for?
The Safety Culture Framework approach will be useful to operational, EHS and HR managers who are interested in developing a framework that:
- Provides a detailed behavioural description of safety culture for all job levels in the company
- Can be used to assess and develop safety culture
- Helps tie existing health and safety programmes and activities to the key behaviours required in their safety culture
- Can be integrated into management systems
Benefits of this approach
Many companies have found the development of their own Safety Culture Framework particularly useful for its simplicity and flexibility. Benefits of such frameworks include that they:
- Describe safety culture in a practical way and make safety culture tangible at an individual level
- Can be integrated into management systems to help with reinforcement, rather than a stand-alone programme
- Can be used in a range of ways for people in different work settings
- Have a strong research base, with many examples of companies that have achieved improvements in safety culture by using this approach
- Allow companies to join an international network of organisations using a similar approach to understanding and developing safety culture
Find out more
To find out more about developing a bespoke Safety Culture Framework within your organisation, please telephone our Edinburgh office on +44(0)131 229 6140 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. One of our consultants will be in touch as soon as possible.