Control rooms are specific work environments where complex cognitive tasks are undertaken to control, monitor and enable the optimal performance of a system, such as a process plant or railway system.
Such a system should be designed to meet the needs of the people who will use it. The facility should enhance key interactions among personnel, the equipment, and support facilities, while at the same time minimising distractions and wasted effort. This is achieved by integrating human factors / ergonomics within the design process.
The Keil Centre’s consultants have vast experience of control rooms and control systems across a wide range of industries, including mineral extraction, process plant, production facilities, transport systems, emergency / security services and call centres.
We offer a number of control room design services which include:
- Undertaking the ergonomics aspects for control rooms, console design and control systems on behalf of a project
- Conducting specific analyses, preparing ergonomics requirements, performing ergonomics assessments and / or user trials
- Undertaking ergonomics design audits
Our consultants are familiar with the practical implementation of national, international, industry and corporate standards related to control centres and control systems, and take a solution-focussed approach to support clients’ needs.
The Keil Centre often works within a multi-disciplinary team and has partnering arrangements with architectural and engineering firms. This enables us to provide holistic solutions which are feasible as well as optimal, usable and safe.
Who is it for?
This service is intended for project teams involved in the design of new or modified control rooms and / or control systems.
Key benefits of applying ergonomics to control centre design include:
- Improvements in health & safety performance, and reduced operational risk
- Enhanced user comfort and satisfaction
- Enhanced system usability
- Reduced project costs through more efficient design
- Reduced life cycle costs of operating and maintaining facilities
Find out more
To find out more about the support we provide for Control Room Design and how it may be beneficial to your organisation, please telephone our Edinburgh office on +44(0)131 229 6140 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. One of our consultants will be in touch as soon as possible.